St. Paul’s Hospital, Saskatoon

ABOUT

The original St. Paul’s Hospital (1907) was first located in a physician’s (Dr. John H. C. Willoughby) house. The hospital was established due to an outbreak of typhoid, which occurred while the Canadian Pacific Railroad was building a bridge in Saskatoon. The bridge was located downstream from the town garbage dump where the Bessborough Hotel now stands. Contaminated water from the garbage dump eventually led to a breakout of typhoid among the workers. Catholic priests cared for the sick in the Catholic rectory, and in Dr. Willoughby’s house. A group of Grey Nuns passing through Saskatoon on their travels, stayed to help. A hospital was eventually opened in 1913. In 1963, the current B-Wing of St. Paul’s Hospital was built and owned by the Grey Nuns. A-Wing was added in 1989. St. Paul’s continues to compassionately offer quality health care to residents of Saskatoon and northern Saskatchewan. In 1995, St. Paul’s Hospital entered an affiliation agreement with Saskatoon District Health, now the Saskatoon Health Region. In 1999, the Grey Nuns transferred ownership of the hospital to the Saskatchewan Catholic Health Corporation.

 

CONTACT

St. Paul’s Hospital, Saskatoon

President and CEO: Ms. Jean Morrison
1702 – 20th Street West, Saskatoon, SK S7M 0Z9
Telephone: (306) 655-5000 Fax: (306) 655-5555
E-Mail: jean.morrison@saskatoonhealthregion.ca
Web: www.stpaulshospital.org

HIGHLIGHTS

Established: 1907
Accredited: Yes
Hospital Type: Acute Care
Beds: 200
Admissions Per Year: 8,773 (In Patient Admission 2006-2007)
Average Length of Stay: 6.8 days (2006-2007)
Total Number of Staff: 1611